Sunday, September 19, 2010

The level of a read

There was a reading that we had for class a while back that talked about how you sometimes don't have to really pay attention when you read and then there are some things that you have to digest every word. This came to mind for me because I just finished a book a few days ago and was thinking about how much thought I needed to put into it. The book I read is called The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I chose it because it had been given a Pulitzer. This book required much more brain power at the beginning because it is written in incomplete sentences with abnormal structure. Once I was used to this however the book was a much easier and much less involved read.

.

This was a surprise to me because I assumed that a more intense read meant that the book was better. The book Beloved by Toni Morrison is one of those books that has to be the full focus of your attention when you are reading it. This book also won the Pulitzer. I however enjoyed The Road and even cried a little. So I guess a strenuous read is not what indicates a good read.

5 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed both of those books. I guess I've learned that what we read often determines how we read that particular material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great authors! I have read The Road and a few books besides Beloved by Toni Morrison. Isn't it interesting how each book demands attention in its reading?
    I just finished writing a paper about shifting reading paradigms. I'll upload it to my Google Docs, if you want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about the same thing with reading I have to do for different classes. I think that one thing that determines how we read and how much attention it requires is what we are trying to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general, I think strenuous reading creates an artificial sense of being fulfilling because you have to think about it so much just to understand it. However, good books will present a concept more simply, but you will apply it to more aspects of your life all by yourself, without all the extra nudging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really agree. Even in learning it seems like we can still enjoy something that is harder to excel at. They may even become what we enjoy most. I know my econ classes started off as the most laborious and challenging, but I have come to love the difficulty. . . in a sadistical sort of way.

    ReplyDelete